PSC Scholars in local and foreign universities
Written Reply to Parliamentary Question on PSC Scholars in local and foreign universities
Parliamentary Sitting: 13 May 2013
Mr Yee Jenn Jong: To ask the Prime Minister (a) what is the number of Public Service Commission (PSC) undergraduate scholars who are currently studying in local and foreign universities respectively; and (b) in view of the improving ranking of our local universities and their recent tie-ups with top international universities such as Yale, MIT, Imperial College and Zhejiang, whether a larger percentage of future PSC scholars will be studying in local institutions.
Written Reply (for the Prime Minister) by Mr Teo Chee Hean, Deputy Prime Minister, Coordinating Minister for National Security, Minister in charge of the Civil Service and Minister for Home Affairs:
The Public Service Commission (PSC) encourages our scholarship holders to pursue diverse experiences in preparation for their public service career. This includes studying at a range of good universities, both locally and abroad. Outstanding candidates who are keen to study locally may be awarded the Local-Overseas Merit Scholarships (L-OMS), which provides a well-rounded local undergraduate education with opportunities for overseas exposure. They are also given the same grooming and development opportunities as Overseas Merit Scholarship (OMS) recipients.
12% of PSC scholarship holders are currently pursuing their undergraduate studies locally while the remaining 88% are doing so in a spread of countries like the US, UK, China and Japan.
We agree with the member that there have been many positive developments in our local universities. The PSC continues to share such information with scholarship applicants and encourages them to pursue their undergraduate studies locally. There are also opportunities for scholarship holders who complete their undergraduate degrees overseas to return to Singapore for postgraduate studies in institutions like the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy at NUS, S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies at NTU etc. In addition, the PSC recently reviewed the terms and conditions for our local scholarships to enhance their attractiveness to prospective scholarship applicants. We will continue to educate our scholarship applicants on the opportunities offered by our local universities, and continue to ensure that PSC scholarship holders have a broad range of perspectives and experiences in preparation for their career in the public service.
 Information correct as at 31 December 2012